.tabs-inner { padding: 0px; } .section { margin: 0px; } .content-inner { padding: 10px 0px; }

Friday, April 11, 2014

Writing Process blog hop

A couple of weeks ago, J.L. Mbewe tagged me for a blog hop. I initially met her on The Anomaly, and then joined her for her Facebook readers group, where I was fortunate enough to have my book chosen shortly after its publication and thoughtfully discussed by a number of wonderful people. J.L. is the author of Secrets Kept and a number of other wonderful fantasy titles.


In this particular blog, we are to answer four questions about ourselves, and then tag a couple of others. So without further ado:


1)      What am I working on?

I am currently hammering out the sequel to Bid the Gods Arise, a novel that harmonizes a number of speculative fiction genres into a melange that I call "Lewis meets Lovecraft by way of Lucas." The sequel, tentatively titled Worlds Beyond the Well, builds directly upon a number of themes and situations from the first book, but spins off in whole new directions.


2)       How does my work differ from others of its genre?

While I cannot claim originality, my speculative fiction series is unusual in its seeming to touch on a number of classic aspects of various genres without belonging wholly to any of them. People who like epic fantasy will enjoy it, but may be surprised to see elements of science fiction creeping in, but with an undercurrent of spiritual themes and paranormal aspects.


3)       Why do I write what I do?

For the same reason that Lewis and Tolkien wrote what they did: No one was writing exactly what they wanted to read, so they figured they had better write it themselves. The irony, of course, is that creating a novel is an entirely different experience from actually just sitting down to read one fresh, so it's magic of another nature.


4)       How does your writing process work?

Not very well, to tell the truth. I'm actually a prime example of how not to write. I tend to have a number of scattered ideas that I think are interesting, and then work really hard to tie them all together and give them significance. I am also the most easily distracted person on the face of the planet, so I'm not exactly predictable, punctual, or disciplined. Probably the best thing to do to get me to write faster would be to lock me in a sensory deprivation chamber. Fortunately, since starting the sequel and getting frustrated with its interweaving of various plot threads, I have discovered the magic of Scrivener. It is exactly the sort of organizational tool that would have kept me from having to rewrite my first novel dozens of times, and has already paid for itself in terms of making the creation of the sequel a coherent process.


Tagging two other authors:

Charlene Newcomb, who lives in my own hometown, is probably best known for her short story entries into the Star Wars Expanded Universe, and her character Alex Winger. Most recently she has written Keeping the Family Peace.


John Kenneth Patterson, author of The Arrivers short stories and the upcoming Wolfglen Legacy, is also a genre-bender, as well as an excellent landscape artist.